The MLK Committee has been working hard on planning the 25th Annual event to celebrate Dr. King Day in the area with the theme of 'Embrace Unity: Be the Change!'. This year's event will be held on MLK Day, Jan 15, 2018. It is scheduled to start at 6:30 PM at Lewisville High School Auditorium. Winning Art and Photography entries are on display at 5:30 PM. After the event, they will be moved to MCL Grand and will be on display for 3 weeks. It is open to the public with a suggested admission fee of 1 canned good to be donated to CCA food pantry.
There are several special features that you should know about:
1. Opening invocation will be given by Denton South Interfaith Group. This is a multi-faith group comprising Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and Baha'i Faiths. There are several interfaith devotional programs in the area including one planned for Saturday February 3 at 6:30 PM at local Baha'i Center in Lewisville.
2. Guest speaker is Michael Brundy who will give the keynote address. He is an author and motivational speaker of wide repute.
3. Students from 4th-12th grade have competed in 3 areas of Art, Photography, and Essay. Of some 2500 total entries, about 60 have been chosen. They will receive cash awards based on their grade and the place (First place is $75-$150 and 3rd place $25-$75).
4. One entry is chosen each year as Chairman's prize winner and that entry this year is in the art category. The winning entry was submitted by Flower Mound High School Senior Max Woods. The award for Chairman's Prize is $250.
5. As this is our 25th Silver Celebration, special recognition will be made to Denton County Commissioner Bobbie Mitchell, Tau Rho Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., and the Baha'is of Flower Mound.
6. This year's event showcases artistic talents of all 5 Lewisville ISD high schools in collaborative efforts in dance, music, recitation, etc. It is an awesome 'Tribute to Dr. King'.
7. Welcoming remarks will be given by Dr. Kevin Rogers (LISD Superintendent) and Mr. Brandon Jones (Lewisville City Council member)
8. There will be 2 Choir performances. The voices of Tau Rho Omega Choral Group and Lakeland Elementary Chin Choir.
I simply cannot list everything that will be at this event. Don't miss it. For more information visit www. MLKofNorthTexas.org or call Dr. Davoodi 9724103682. We expect a packed house. Please come early and plan on staying till the grand finale!